Recipe Box: Pulled Honey BBQ Chicken Sandwich
There is something about BBQ that reminds me of summer afternoons. The smell of comfort food mixed with the warmth of the sun, the loud passionate conversations about any and everything. Sitting on the porch, munching on hotdogs (the official appetizer of cookouts), my sisters and I would debate the secret ingredients in my uncles infamous bbq sauce. To this day...we still don't know. I'm sure only 3 people in the world actually know the ingredients, but only he knows the intricate details. We're talking a sauce so good that it is an honor for your food to even touch it. A sauce so good, you literally put it on everything because drinking it straight would be weird...right? Though nothing compares, this sauce recipe is pretty darn close. It include all the things I could see in the pot (lemons). Here's a sweet-tangy sandwich that reminds me of home. Family. Summer. Finger-lickin' goodness!
1. In a sauce pot, over low heat, add honey BBQ, onions, butter, honey, and lemon. Cover for 10-15 minutes, occasionally stirring (and tasting) to get your desired level of tangy sweetness.
2. Heat a small amount of EVOO in a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Marinate chicken breast with lemon pepper seasoning, before adding to skillet. Cook until there is no sign of pinkness. Careful not to overcook. Chicken tends to dry out easily.
4. Allow chicken to cool on a paper towel. The paper towel will soak up any excess oil. Shred chicken in a food processor (or use the old fashion fork), lemon pepper to taste.
5. Serve lemon pepper chicken over bread, lettuce, cheese pileup. Top with sweet-tangy honey bbq sauce and enjoy!
Chicken breast, cleaned
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
Fresh Bakery Bread
1 Onions, sliced
1 Lemon, sliced
2 Tbsp Honey
1 Tbsp Butter
Honey BBQ Sauce
If you give it a try or add a twist, tag us #rorwellness...we'd love to see it!
ROR Tip: Try dipping or lightly drizzling sauces & syrups to give you better control of your calorie and sugar intake.